02-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #243
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Take the nuts off, spray some WD40 on the hub, so the 40 gets between the wheel and hub (cup of tea/coffee of preferably a JD), jack the car up, and then gently lower it,this should break the wheel away from the rusted hub.

If that does not work, a sharp whack on the back of the wheel (with a rubber mallet) should shift it.
Thanks

I'll def try that approach at the weekend.

Called at the dealer today and got hold of the service manager. Very helpful but tried to tell me that it was the salt on our roads!

Backed off when I said it was b*llocks and eventually admitted that they were well aware of the problems and personally he had attended rescue callouts and been embarrassed "on more than one occassion" when they couldn't remove a wheel at the roadside.

Confirmed BMW aren't interested despite pleas from the dealerships to at least factory grease the hubs to stop sticking and wouldn't accept warranty issues.

He offered to clean the hubs as goodwill if I booked the car in which I declined (60 mile round trip) as that wouldn't solve the problem - so will do it properly myself.

I checked the forecourt and loads of similar rust evident.

Ah - well...............................

SO-Yank

Can get dead blow hammers in uk - I'll try to remember where I've seen them but probably just need a builders 2 or 4lb club hammer and a block of wood.