View Single Post
      08-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

1) I tried to get the old O ring out and played with it for a few minutes. But I didn't use any tools because it was in an awkward spot - hard to tell from the photo but it's pretty far up there and I didn't want to take a chance of damaging anything in the transmission.

2) Yes, I topped off the transmission while it was warm.
When I filled the transmission without the car running, it filled pretty quickly - maybe 1 1/2 quarts. Once I turned on the engine, that's when most of the transmission fluid was filled. During that time, the transmission heated up.
I had access to electronic professional shop manuals (reference bolt tightening sequence) at the auto hobby shop and I specifically looked for anything stating a temperature. It never said anything.

3) I had the sealant that you recommended with me but never ended up using it because when I pulled off the pan, the old gasket came off with no resistance; it was obvious that no sealant was used.
Yes, I'll be checking it again for leaks in a while. I will also have my indy check the trans fluid level and leaks on the 60K service.

4) I mailed the fluid to Blackstone yesterday. I will post results as soon as I get them so that others can determine if they want to change their fluid.
I will admit that although the fluid was pretty dark, the fluid still looked red and not black. You can see the fluid color in some of the photos ... I've seen MUCH worse looking ATF in my wife's Acura when I drained her ATF at a similar mileage.

5) Yeah, $5.50/hr can't be beat. Plus access to all of the tools; I got my tools stolen a couple of years ago and replaced them with a fairly cheap toolset because of access to military auto hobby shops. I love being able to use the facilities.

Again, thanks for your and Entity's help on this forum.
Appreciate 0