View Single Post
      04-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
desean81
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Coupé

Catalytic Converter Question - Downpipes, Aftermarket exhaust

Hey everyone, I need some suggestions for my situation. Awhile ago I bought an aftermarket exhaust after falling in love with the sound. It was a downpipe-back exhaust, so it removed the secondary cats.

Next, I fell in love with the idea of catless DPs for the performance gains. So once I install my new DPs I'll be completely catless which is a no-go for me as I can't feel right about just dumping all those fumes out the pipe when they could be treated.

I need a catalytic setup that I can weld into the aftermarket exhaust that hopefully won't harm the performance gains from the catless DPs. I'm of course willing to sacrifice some performance in the name of treating the exhaust gases, and passing the sniffer test we have here in Ontario (very similar to California regulations as far as I know).

I was thinking of getting a shop to cut the factory cats back a bit on their flanges to widen the opening to the size of the aftermarket exhaust (2.5") and weld the original secondary cats back in rather than purchasing something like the Magnaflow hi-flow cats as from what I've heard, they don't work all that well.

Can anyone see any issues with this setup? Is there another setup I should be considering that will keep the car legal on the sniffer and not dumping really smelly fumes out the back?

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks very much for your help!
Appreciate 0