05-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #39
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty View Post
Yeah, Im not sure. I drove it pretty hard yesterday on map 5 with stock cooling and intake (DCI goes in today) with 90 degree temps and the car never got above 240.
Remember that gauge is the oil temp, not the coolant temp. You will need to unlock the cluster to view actual water temp (every time you start the car) or get something like a Rixster gauge that accesses the CAN bus to see more engine data. The ECU regulates the water pump speed and fan speed to ensure the engine doesn't overheat. Don't concern yourself with the actual temps unless you're drag racing (times suffer once the motor heats up) or doing track events where the stock cooling system can't handle all that extra power.

Depending on how you use the car, your upgrade path will differ slightly versus others. Talking with an experienced salesperson who isn't interested in just getting all your money (yes, those people DO exist), will get you the performance you're looking for within your budget. Jeff at Topgearsolutions has a great reputation here and lots of different parts available, and he's all over this forum.