View Single Post
      10-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #142
Jack M.
Rep
Drives: E39, M5, rebuilt by me ;)

I'm sure it would be very easy to manipulate the motor which controls the LSD action in the t-case, but the problem is the ECU will very likely freak out if it was unable to control the LSD in they way it wants to. Is there a way to shut that OFF, so the ECU is not monitoring the unit? If so, I can very likely design and build a circuit which will allow the driver to control the LSD manually by either going full ON or full OFF.

Full ON would be nice for drag race use. Full OFF may be a bit tricky and I'll have to take a closer look at the clutches to be sure they will not be damaged if you were to run the car in a way where the front or rear wheels would move independently for extended periods.

I know the ACD unit in the EVOs will burn up the clutches if you have the wheels turn at a different rate for too long, even if the system is OFF and no pressure is applied to the clutches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
Hey Jack, thanks for all the info. I'll see what I can do about breaking one :-).

One additional thing that's been talked about in regard to these is that supposedly the ECU can control the locking action you describe above but so far nobody has found the control in the code. Even if they do I'm not sure what they plan to do with it besides maybe make a special mode that disables AWD for dyno and drift purposes.

You know me, I'd like a little more. In your fooling around if you see an obvious way to create a 3-way switch so that a person could choose RWD, stock, or locked that might be a popular thing...not sure if there'd be a way to sell it, though. I know I'd love to be able to just lock the thing at the dragstrip.