ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
First off to buy rolls of XPel you simply go to their site and click the "Bulk Protection Film" link. I bought a 6" wide roll but they offer rolls up to 60" wide!

They even give you the instructions under their Support menu!

I used their instructions to learn how to make it adhere properly but the film itself was cut to my own specs. I used a squeegee and also an old credit card. Just be generous with the solution, don't worry it will evaporate!

How did I do that? Well I didn't have fancy CAD software but I did have some newspaper . I simply made cutouts with newspaper (or whatever you want), got them to where I wanted, then used them to cut the pattern in the roll of XPel.

It's not as precise as an actual kit, but I feel the coverage I have is more than adequate. It's also nice to be able to cover any random spot on your car ( I did my gas lid since the attendants in NJ are not gentle ). I SHOULD have done the lower lip on my bumper but apparently I had a laps of judgement ( I got impatient ). I keep telling myself that I'll put some near the wheel wells since dirt loves accumulating there but I never get around to it

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
You said you had the film cut 'to my own specs' then go on to say that you used newspaper to make a template before cutting the film. Those statements sound contradictory. Could you please explain?

Also, a 6" wide roll will not give proper coverage for the hood. I think the original installation on the hood was at least 30" wide, if not more, so it came nearly half way up the hood. That's where most of the stone damage is going to occur, along with the front bumper.
What I meant was I literally cut it to my own specs by hand. I see how that sounded confusing.

Yeah I could have gone wider but honestly I don't have any chip problems that high up.