02-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #43
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 330D, 1978 1275GT

Just picked this up at the 5er forum...

Quote:
My experience with DPF on E60 2004MY. The main problems with DPF (with 3 cars in my practice) filter coming from bad thermostats. After thermostat exchange I connect DIS and see the same situation (Filter regeneration requested, Regeneration not active, Back pressure 60Mbar, in idle car into LIMP mode ). In driving cycle the regeneration can’t start and exhaust gas temperature after cat is 260-300 deg. My solution (without any mechanical works): driving speed aprox. 60km/h with low rpm. and constantly erase the fault memory of DDE. After 5-10 min the exhaust gas temperature after CAT is 620 deg. and regeneration goes to active phase (in this moment is possible decrease the speed to 40km/h). After 30 min of drive regeneration is complete.
Sounds like he speaks from experience, and I expect the slow speeds he's keeping to is purely so that this method works in limp mode.

I expect running at low RPM may hinder the cars ability to sense the high backpressure, meaning it will initiate a self-regen.

Might be an option for those who don't want to buy an additive?
Appreciate 0