View Single Post
      01-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

Thumbs up

At Innovative Detailing we stay away from mitts. These mitts are the most definate way to cause scratches over time. I only use the best quality sponge that I have been able to find with very small pores that allow the dirt to blow out when you dip it into a clean water bucket (2 bucket method, 1 w/soap, and 1 with clean water) and dip and rinse often. Unlike a sponge, a sheepskin mitt or wool mitt has a tendency to hold the dirt and debris in the wool or synthetic fiber. And when you dip the mitt into a clean bucket of water the dirt will not release from the fibers like a sponge. Caution Always have 2 sponges, 1 for your upper and vertical panels and 1 for your lowers such as fender well lips and lower bumpers. Keep them seperarated and use them accordingly for the best results.

We conducted a month long test on clients black cars the we maintain weekly. When we switched from sponges to mitts we saw our dark colored cars gain lots of fine hairline scratches and cobwebbing. Enough for me to say STOP USING MITTS I dont need to be braking out the Porter Cable every month on these cars when they are prestine to begin with.

To rid of the following.....

1) Swirls - Wash and care for vehicle properly, do not use aggressive or inferior products.

2) Orange Marks (Bee excretement) - Usually a hard spot, orange or yellow in color will come off but tends to leave a colored mark on the paint especially white cars. A non abrasive cleaner wax will work but eventually the UV rays tend to stabilize this stain and it dissapears on its own.

Tons of products out there, just use what works best for you, ease, cost, efectiveness, otherwise you will spend a ton of money on things that will just sit in a cabinet

Good Luck
Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Appreciate 0