View Single Post
      07-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
professorman
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6spd MT, 95k miles

Purchase: 07 328i 6MT or 07 335i 6MT, similar mileage?

BLUF: I just bought 07 328i 6MT Sedan w/95k miles. Should I get 07 335i 6MT Coupe w/90k miles for same price?

So, I was set to replace my 5spd Accord with my cousin's 07 328i sedan 6spd MT 95k miles, and ended up purchasing it for full KBB value. I should have passed up on it, but I honored my word to my cousin, and didnt want it to come between us. (I value family, and it kinda screwed me in this instance).

Anyway, I was at my mechanic who is my best friend, when one of his customers is selling their BMW. It is a 07 335i Coupe with 90k miles, 6spd MT, black with red interior. It is sweet. Only problem, it was an accident repair. It was in a pretty bad accident and my mechanic best friend was the one who brought it back to life and did a good job putting it back together. He then sold it about 4 years ago to the current customer, who is a old rich retired guy. The manual is too hard on him now, and he cant drive it as much anymore, so trying to get rid of it. He is asking about the same price that I got for my cousin's 328i. The coupe will give me a little challenge since I was in a car accident a month ago and had a fractured spinal vertebrae, so getting the 3 year old in the car seat in the Coupe every day might be a chore.

I am a DIY, and fix majority of issues myself, but I am coming from Honda ownership, where I can pretty much do majority of things myself except internal engine work, and stuff dont break that often, even with 300k miles. I do not like having a car where I am always working on it though. Being in my mid-thirties, I value my family time a lot, although I am budget conscious. Basically, I want my second car to be something fun, but not a money/time pit.

I drive 700 miles every 2 weeks to go pick up my daughter, so I don't want something that might leave me on the side of the road. I had zero issues with my Accord and never even thought about its reliability even as I approach 200k miles.

For reference, I also have a 01 Porsche 911 that I drive about 3-5 days per week.

What are your thoughts? Is the maintenance on the 335i a headache beyond 100k miles, where its better off to just keep the 328i?