View Single Post
      05-31-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
2011335xi6MTMsportE90
Rep
Drives: 2011 335iXdrive 6MT MSport E90

Need help diagnosing low speed Clunk sound

I need help diagnosing a clunking sound I get at low speed traveling over rough or bumpy pavement. I thought it was my thrust arm bushings, but I just had those replaced with poly powerflex bushings (steering feel and tightness is so much better now, great mod). But the clunking sound is still there. It's kind of like a low pitched clunking or rattling sound. It does not happen when I turn, so I don't think it's an axle, CV joint, or wheel bearing. From what I inspected there are no obvious loose suspension components. The ball joints on the thrust arm seem good. It sounds like it's coming under the left front floorboard and it's not something I feel in the steering wheel. I feel it under my feet. Maybe the driveshaft? I just had that out when my clutch was replaced and my mechanic didn't say anything about obvious wear on the U joints or guibo, though I didn't specifically ask them to check it. This noise occurred before the driveshaft was out, so it's not repair related.

Also, this sound goes away at higher speeds and on smooth roads. It's only noticeable say when pulling up to a stop sign on a rough/bumpy street or driving at 10-20 mph, (so it's not brake related). It is not in rhythm with the suspension or motion or speed of the wheel, so again I don't think it's a wheel bearing. From the sound descriptions it matches the CV or steering rack issues others have had, but they all mentioned it happened during turns and this noise only occurs when going straight at low speeds.

My leading culprits are the endlinks, followed by control arms, and strut mounts.

I am replacing the strut mounts this weekend when I put on my new H&R coilovers and will looks at the other parts I listed. I doubt it's control arms since those are spherical bearings in there, but could be. Hoping it's not CV's. Could also be tie rods, but steering is tight and not loose.

Car is 2011 335i xdrive 6MT (see my sn)

Has anyone chased down a similar issue? Thanks
Appreciate 0