View Single Post
      05-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #22
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon2015 View Post
... I have trust in my electrical knowledge. [Does that knowledge include Ohm's Law (E=RI, or I=E/R)? Amps or Current flow = Volts/Resistance. If E (Voltage) is constant 12V, and R (Resistance is "Infinite" (open circuit) then Amps or Current Flow = 12 divided by "Infinity" = 0 (Zero current flow -- open circuit).]

I am sorry that I have shared my experience here, I will try to stop it. [Please don't "stop it". Personally, I have found your posts prior to this one to be very knowledgeable & helpful. I think you may NOT be looking at this correctly, and that is why I replied to your post. I'm was hoping that you were "science-based" and willing to re-examine a concept that seemed incorrect to me. This is NOT a "macho"/"Ego" contest, but a discussion of scientific concepts.]

In this case I will enlighten you. The world is not a perfect place. Physics are described and learned in perfect conditions. In the real world, a large diameter cable, such as a ground cable filled with corrosion will allow a variable amount of energy to pass though it. So don't look at it as working or not working. This variable amount of energy that is allowed to pass it's issue that causes the problems I have described above. A little educational video here, it applies to DC as well: https :// www .youtube. com/watch?reload=9&v=LMU9-GOjVRw [Pasting that URL returns NOT FOUND. If you are suggesting a "Voltage Spike" could occur with regard to the CAS Signal to the Starter Solenoid due to "intermittent fluctuation" in Resistance of the Ground Strap, I'm NOT aware of any such phenomenon ever reported. Unless there is a current storage (capacitor) in the circuit, the CAS can ONLY provide the current the designed resistance of the circuit allows 12V to provide, UNLESS there is a "Short-Circuit" in the system. A BAD Ground Strap ADDS resistance to the circuit (the OPPOSITE of a short circuit), meaning LESS current flows, NOT more.]...
The "Real World" is what Physics is based upon, and what it is used in. Physics and Mathematics got men to the moon & back by applied science that calculated trajectories, thrusts, momentum, etc. THAT was "Rocket Science" and automotive engineering, particularly as it relates to simple electrical circuits such as the Starter is NOT "Rocket Science", or anything unknown or mysterious.

IF I were to see something in the "Real World" that appears to NOT follow the basic "Laws of Physics", I would FIRST question MY CONCEPT of physics, rather than the "Physics Law" or formula itself, and then I would question my "application" of that law to the issue at hand.

Just a thought, NOT a sermon. Please keep contributing as you have. I'm sure I'm NOT the only person who appreciates, and has benefited from, your posts.

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0