View Single Post
      08-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #239
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Zaino works great for me on the paint, but what about on chrome and metal? Not so much the E90, but I have had a HELL of a time with the chrome on my bike. I just got a new headlight because the old one was so corroded I couldn't remove the bezel to replace the lamp. I got a much better cover for the bike now, but want to keep the bezel ring that faces the wind clean so I don't have to pay $180 if the lamp goes again.
And with the recommendation, is there something different for chrome that gets hot, like pipes?
UncleWede - I had good luck with P21s Metal Polishing Soap when it came to detailing bikes. It's a powdery substance with a thick foam sponge that you get wet and glide the sponge over the soap. From there you apply it onto cool metal, agitate and rinse. It's a lot less time consuming than using a paste based polish, especially if you maintain it on a regular basis. Some detailers have been using a microfiber applicator instead of the foam applicator to minimize adding minor imperfections. One downside is that you do not want to get this product on painted surfaces, if you do rinse off immediately, and you want to re-protect that area with your sealant or wax.

You could treat the chrome afterwards with something like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, which will work great on chrome and make future cleaning significantly easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktekniq View Post
i have a question,
what is the difference in applying wax with a wax applicator when compared to using a mf towel for waxing? i know people say to use wax applicator to put on the wax then use mf towel to wipe it off. can't i use mf towel for both processes? wondering what could be the difference.

also the second question is that i want to use zaino but i don't want to use that many products since i'm lazy. is there anything such as a ALL-IN-ONE zaino thing where i can just apply one layer and be done with? something that has the wax, sealant, etc etc. all together.
Good question. I do not see any harm in applying a wax with a mf towel. However, I think when you are using a folded towel, it makes for one large applicator pad, and if you let it hang down and just use a corner, you have to monitor the towel closer to make sure it doesn't pick up any contamination. I think the size alone seals for me to use a foam applicator pad.

Also, you'll ruin your towels significantly faster if you are directly applying the product with them as the product can quickly cake up and render that section of the towel unusable if not cared for properly. In this case, I'd rather replace a $1.50 foam applicator than a $3.99 towel.

Zaino does make an all in one product, called Z-AIO. It polishes and protects in one step. Keep in mind while these are great time saving steps, you will get better results by using a dedicated polish then a dedicated sealant afterwards.

Great questions!

George
Appreciate 0