View Single Post
      01-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #123
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue '13 E92 M3

Hi all,

I've seen this mod too available for the E46 and it was exactly the same. Using a resistor instead of the corner bulb to avoid the error, and taping the sidemarker for the blinker. It worked well in the E46 just as in this case BUT after a while the light control module (LCM) started to fail and fry. This module in the E46 is located where the headlights switch is, you can do a search on this issue at E46fanatics.com.

The problem is that the current used to drive the corner bulb is coming from the sidemarker with the mod so basically that circuit is feeding a lot more load than intended. Overtime this "fried" the LCM, electronic components handling the sidemarker circuit, and required an expensive fix from the dealer. For some people it happened a few months after doing the mod. I'm not trying to scare people about this, I want to do the mod myself too, so I just wanted to ask about it. The "correct" way to mod it in the E46 and even in this case would be to use a relay so that little or no current is been drawn from the sidemarker circuit. Maybe the LCM is better designed in the E92 and can handle the extra load without any problems? Has anyone with this mod gotten any issues?
Appreciate 0