Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Touring 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrique91 View Post
After trying to pry open the headlight with a heat gun, pry tools, flatheads, etc I realized that I should just cut it. I suppose it's easier with an oven but that's not an option for me. I cut the headlight with a Dremel, I just followed a line on the headlight that is right next to the permaseal. This leaves me with a small thin piece of plastic in the permaseal channel. I haven't gotten to taking this out yet(busy painting and doing some wiring). An approach I might try is to run a thin wire under the seal and "floss" it away to cut through all of it. I can update you once I do it. Keep in mind I am getting new lenses, so maybe this method might not be for you.
I've never had success using the oven to open a headlamp. By the time you get it out and to the workbench it's already lost 40-50 degrees of temp.

Using wire maybe, I've cut windshields free using the same technique. I imagine the sealant is pretty similar. Some urethane joint.

I'll have to pull that thing out of the parts room and take a real go at it.

I would like to put new lenses on both of mine, as they are crazing on the inside, so buffing isn't getting them as clear and crisp as I'd like them to be.

Did you find OE equivalent lenses somewhere?
I think I found them. I don't understand why lenses would cost $130+ from vendors __ when they are just plastic. I found a seller on ali express that says they are for xenons and the photo has the screws for angel eyes. I will find out for sure how well they fit in the next week or two I think. Shipping takes a while. There's quite a bit of them on ali express you just have to search for the ones that specifically say xenon. I figured I rather "risk" buying $35 lenses than expensive ones that are probably the exact same thing. If they fit well i can send you a link to the exact same seller in the future. I don't want to lead someone in the wrong direction.