View Single Post
      01-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07chupacabra View Post
Looks great, definitely interested, even more so in a DIY. If you do end up making a kit please go with a blackvue dual channel cam.
I checked out the blackvue camera but the lens were integrated into the circuit board and the entire thing was too long to fit in the housing. Also, it was quite a bit more expensive than my camera ($80) which required all the features I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyTwoEight View Post
Make A Kit!
Kit or DIY, whichever one people are more interested in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
Are u running a Power Magic? If so, what are u tapped into?
No, I'm running just a normal hardwire kit with integrated fuse tapped into my fusebox. Many people use fuse 73 (door lock), for dashcams for it's constant on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
How on earth did you do that housing? Modify the existing one, add on to it, replace the whole thing?
It's actually an oem part for auto high beam assist, never seen it in one of our cars. If you have that feature, there's actually a camera in there. Why not just put a dashcam in there instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_tricky View Post
the housing is from a car with auto main beam function. i have it.. downside is i cant install a dashcam there
You are correct! I saw people doing auto highbeam retrofits and thought that housing was perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
How are you connected to power and over coming the "increased battery discharge" warning if you are running 24/7?
I'm tapped into the fusebox like all other constant on dashcams. I drive my car daily and the 500mA current being drawn from the camera when it's actually recording (compared to standby motion detection mode) would take weeks or months to kill my battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
I was looking at your pics some more, do you have a radar in there as well? I couldn't tell really but it doesn't appear so.

My idea for a 2-in-1 device would be sweet but fitting that hidden in a mirror housing would be tough
No I don't unfortunately, no space in there with the circuit board. I could however put an extension ribbon on the lens and move the board into the light housing. How big is the radar detector component? I know people hide them in the rear view mirrors to get a display through the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbo View Post
Wow that looks amazing. Are you able to come up with a diy?
Still working out some kinks!
Appreciate 1