View Single Post
      09-02-2019, 02:16 AM   #5
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

6FL retrofit

Weirdly, this one gave me the most headaches. The OEM 6FL has a cable running from the MULF2 in the trunk down the driver's side wiring loom to a powered USB hub under the carpet in front of the driver's seat, then another USB cable under the driver's seat to the center console (seriously, what?). A second cable off the hub could provide 6NF I believe. A USB cord plugged directly into the MULF2 would not charge a phone (no power, hence the powered hub).

The Combox already has two ports (black and blue, see above), and they are powered. I had read that you cannot just take a standard CIC USB cord and plug it into the combox however; you had to either insert a hub or you had to cut all the fins and retainer off your cord and insert it upside down (sigh). So I bought too many cords, jacks (and a hub) so I could experiment. My original plan was to keep the hub in the trunk.

Also, watching BMWFanatic's video above, I noticed he did not move pins from the MULF2 connector or plug it into the harness - so he did not re-route the AUX.* I thought perhaps that you could use coding to get the CIC to use its own AUX (which is already run in my car since I did not have 6FL). I even used a diff program to line-by-line compare an FSW-PSW file from the CIC with and without 6FL. Conclusion: You *cannot* get the CIC to use AUX from CIC while simultaneously using USB from the combox. So I had to run 2 lines. Which is tricky: no one sells a long aux cord!

In the end, you can do this for surprisingly cheap! Something like this can be had from many sellers for under $20. I think I bought this exact listing, and the USB cable had no fins on either connector! So you could cut off the retaining clip on one side and plug it in upside down without issue. The only problem: 1.5m cords, which means you're running it straight down the middle from the trunk to the center console.

I actually also bought this 3m cable; the blue end goes into the black port of the combox and the white end goes into the USB port. It was already the correct orientation so I did not have to cut anything and it was long enough that I could run it to the side (center console to rear, under rear seat to the seatbelt pillar, up to the wiring harness and into the trunk). I only had the 1.5m 3-conductor aux cord though, so that went right up the middle. I hope that it doesn't get destroyed over time with the folding seats pulling it back and forth.

At this point, I advanced my build date to #0311, added $6FL and $6NR to CAS/NFRM, and default coded MEDIA and CIC. Note that NCS Expert will let you add $6NR with #0910 build date, but ConnectedDrive will not show up as an option in the CIC, so be sure to advance the date.

*of course he did not re-route the aux, he had 6FL from the factory, his aux was already routed to the trunk. Wishful thinking on my part. I assume that since he did not move the MULF2 pins, his aux port does not work.

Last edited by FaxData; 09-06-2019 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 4
TiAgAu150.00
SaNGRia986.00
kern4174446.50
BRG_N54295.00