06-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluebird View Post
Hello all!

Recently, I purchased a 2011 E90 with 125K miles on the clock. The PPI was done at a great BMW shop that I trust, and they said that the only thing needed soon is an oil pan gasket, and that otherwise the car looked and drove great.

However, I'm not sure that the previous owner was keeping up with regularly scheduled maintenance, like brake fluid, filters, belts, diff fluid, etc. If they weren't, what's the best way to get things back to baseline on those items and how much would it cost for someone with very low DIY skills?

Thanks a lot everyone
Congrats! I purchased the same back in January and the car is a perfect little daily driver.
A little background .....I actually bought mine (2011 328i) sight unseen out of state and had it delivered to our house. I do a fair amount of my own maintenance on our two other BMW's and had set aside funds for a maintenance refreshing after the car arrived.

At 91,000 miles it was in good shape, but pretty similar to your situation. Just needed a refresh of all the basic components especially the oil pan gasket which without a doubt, was the first item I planned to tackle. Anyways, after arrival and inspection, I went forward with the big refreshing to have a baseline as I'm planning on keeping the car as long as possible.

Here is what I bought from FCP Euro, and I numbered the DIY difficulty 1 thru 10 to help. 1 being "My Mom could handle it", to 10 being "take it to a Indy shop".
FCP Euro $1,400 included:
Leak detection pump.......3
Oil change kit.......3
Spark plugs.....4
Mass Airflow Sensor.....4
Vanos solenoids (x2) .......4
Oil pan gasket..........8.5
Power steering reservoir kit......3
Belts, pulley's, idler tensioner........4
Oil filter housing gasket kit......4
Brake flush..........4
Engine air filter....3
Cabin air filter......3
Rear differential flush.....3
Coolant flush......4
Intake boots, throttle body ...4
Some headlamp bulbs, interior parts, nuts bolts and miscellaneous items.

A few on the list such Mass Air Flow Sensor and Vanos solenoids didn't necessarily need to be replaced and are expensive. The oil pan gasket is fairly involved but there is a world of help on these forums.

I would invest in some basic tools specific for e90's and learn how to DIY. Lastly, after working on our e46, F30 335i and our F80 M3, I can honestly say the e90 is probably the easiest to work on and the least temperamental BMW I've owned.
I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0