SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neroneuman View Post
I went today morning to Fast Lane European in Santa Clara based on the suggestions here.I met Mason, the owner of the shop. He was professional and more to the haughty side. Not the best feeling I got after I left from there. I felt I wasn't welcome there.

<snip>

he was reluctant to use aftermarket parts and wont be able to warranty the work after that. I understand his skepticism about the quality of parts. But they were Eline rotors from R1concepts for E39 528i. He said his shop will use only OEM parts and he does aftermarket installation rarely. Also his shop compares to the Stevens creek BMW across the street in cost and labor.
FWIW, a lot of shops will not use customer provided parts (OEM or otherwise) because they make money on the parts they install. I've dealt w/one such shop but had no problem w/the policy as long as they were using OEM parts that I would have bought anyway. However, I will not go to any shop that will not install aftermarket parts that I want/need installed on my car.

Shops who refuse to install customer provide parts also usually say that they will not guarantee non-OEM parts but no shop will warranty any parts (OEM or not). However, they should always stand behind the quality of the work done to install those parts; ie., a problem caused by faulty installation, not the fault of the part, should be warrantied by the shop.

Any parts guarantee would be provided by the seller/manufacturer of the parts and any labor to replace such parts would still have to be paid for by the customer, as long as the shop did not install them improperly.

Just saying . . .

Last edited by SSW; 11-28-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0