View Single Post
      08-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
I would say closer to $15-$20. You are trying to make a profit, besides they don't know how much Menzerna Powerlock actually costs lol. It's one of the cheapest, but 1 of the best. You could almost make all your money back that you spent on PL with one application and remember only 2 drops per panel. You don't have to use specific product names either, in fact don't because they can go home and look up the price of the product and see if they are paying too much. The more ignorant they are, the better. You could use words like "Premium" or "Concours" wax. People love glittering generalities, but use them in moderation on your description. You can make them feel like they are getting something special when they choose the $30+ up charge for a premium wax when in reality it could only be something like a $50 pot of wax. You can always experiment with the up charge prices. Start high, but not too high and back the price down if need be.

For example
Standard wax: Poorboys Natty Red $25 a pot
-Up charge- $0 (but include $10 in the price because you have to charge something for the product)

Premium wax: Bouncers Sherbert Fizz $50-$60 a pot
-Up charge $20-$30

Concours wax: a $150-$200+ Zymol/Swissvax
-Up charge $50 and up depending on price of the wax
In my experience, this is a waste of effort. Most clients don't care what wax is used.

I suggest that a professional take the time to find out what specifically fits the owner's/car's lifestyle. For example. Are they wanting longevity and ease of maintenance? Are they wanting the cheapest price(in my case I refer them somewhere else as that brings a ton of issues with a quality-focused professional)? Do they want something for a garage queen and they don't care if it has zero longevity as long as it looks nice. 99/100 times they want longevity, knowing there is no real noticeable visual difference between a powerlock and zymol whatever. But that is where educating the client comes in.

I used to keep on top of having a ton of wax options and found it was wasted effort. What most people want is correction and something to protect(sealant/ocp/cQf). There is such a thing as too many options and too much information to throw at a client. Keep it simple and keep your packages concise and specific.

Time should not be wasted upselling clients different options of wax. Time should be invested in educating clients and be a consultant for them. You will find that once you get them beyond the marketing hype that different wax manufacturers....ahem....manufacture, they go for the worthwhile services like paint restoration.
Appreciate 0