06-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #26
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
While it can be done, it is not recommended. Using the 255/35/18 tire on the 18x8.5" wheel is oversized, and due to the tires being ballooned with a narrower wheel, the tires effectively become ~250/35/18 since the tread is pulled in as the tire bead is pulled in. This happens when a tire is mounted on a wheel that is too narrow. Additionally, there would be less sidewall support from a wheel that is too narrow creating sloppier sidewalls, which in turn causes steering response to be less nimble and makes it more difficult to drive a tire at its limits. For street use this may not be an issue, but if one is looking for performance we do recommend the proper tire size and wheel width combination.
That makes no sense at all. BMW puts 255/35 on an 8.5" wide rim from the factory. I highly doubt that an OEM would put tires that are pinched on a rim.
I'm running 255/35 on an 8.5" rim and have been for about 4 years. The tires do not look pinched at all and the sidewall looks perfect (Michelin PSS). I just took the attached pic. It's a little hard to see the front tires, but in no way shape or form does the tire look too big.
Per the Michelin website, the 255/35 tire is recommended for rim widths 8.5-10" wide.
Also, I have tracked this car extensively with this setup and never had an issue with rubbing either.

Thanks for making great wheels. I have a set of ARC on my Z4 Coupe race car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0