View Single Post
      07-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #64
Geo248
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
The module itself is a common failure, as are plugs (after a certain mileage/age). The failures are independent of each other, but you may only see plug failure codes even though it's actually the module that's failed, etc.

My car was showing only 1 working glow plug, so I replaced them all. After that all but 1 worked (apparently), but over a year another 2 'failed'. I replaced only the module and now all 6 plugs are fine.

Having read a few threads about it, maybe I'm wrong about the controller failing with no codes - seems it would normally throw at least one glow plug code.

I think shadow codes/inpa would be a good first step, as it's cheap and will be very useful in future.

P.S. Even through all my glow plug codes, which I had for years, and many short journeys (current commute is 2mi ), I've never had any DPF trouble (touch wood!!!), and the car runs very clean.
I'm going to have to try and find someone locally who knows what they are looking at in it. I've zero knowledge with it all haha!

I went out for a run earlier (with a mate cancelling the codes using carley) and the 480 particulate filter error was constantly coming up even after being cleared.

The picture below is basically it at cruising speed (65mph around 1500rpm). At one point it *looked* like it wanted to regen, as the exhaust temp climbed to 325, but it then suddenly stopped.

I'm fully out of ideas now, and I don't want to spend all the money replacing module/plugs if it'll still not regen! DPF's are a bloody nightmare!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0