05-27-2022, 08:02 PM   #15
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nit3 View Post
The knowledge you posses on these vehicles is astounding! I truly hope for your sake it wasn't learned the hard way as I seem to have chosen (breaking things first)

I managed to squeeze in enough time right after work to do the diagnostics you suggested. I have checked all the voltages you pointed out, and battery seems very healthy.

When no acc mode and sitting still (key in) i have 0v on both the KL50L(A) and (V).

When acc mode is on I have 0v on the (V) and around 1v on the (A).

When trying to push start as suggested, i twice got VERY high readings of 40+ with a ! beside it. When trying a third time so i could take a picture, it read 12.8 and STARTED! Cant express the relief felt when i heard it turn over lol

I have started it about 4 more times to be sure, and attempted to do a 'once around the block' however stopped at the end of my driveway when I realized I was in limp mode, to avoid causing any additional damage.

Obviously, even though I'm ecstatic it started and ran, I know im nowhere near 'out of the woods' yet lol.

Taking your advice, I am learning to use INPA for diagnostics, and am including the code list I pulled from there AFTER the car started, there will be 2: one before clearing, and a second run after clearing codes (those that remained).

I'm not sure if I should take the 'no crank' issue as a fluke, now that it does in fact start, and begin diagnosing the limp mode issue (hoping they are one and the same). Or if I should continue looking for the hidden gremlin that caused my initial 'no crank' problem. Hoping the error codes below can shed some light as to the best course of action.
I don't think the 'no crank' issue is a fluke. It's an intermittent electrical problem that will probably occur again. Intermittent electrical issues often involve corroded connectors, cables, ground straps, as discussed earlier. Diagnosis is a lot easier when the failure is consistent.

But your result does mean that CAS is likely OK. In general, they do not magically repair themselves if an internal error occurs.

I suggest you clear all codes at this point. Then let's see which ones come back - that will direct your next steps concerning the limp mode problem.
Appreciate 1
l8nit38.50