Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
This guy...

OK, so how do you explain this?

According to MotorenWerkeN52, PE muffler (no OE resonator) + stock headers is LOUDER than PE + OE Resonator + aftermarket headers.

If aftermarket headers are so loud, and the OE resonator isn't cancelling any more noise than the PE's y-pipe, how do you explain what's happening there?

I'm not saying that a resonators 'job' is to attenuate an exhaust system's overall noise-level (however it is certainly it's job to attenuate the noise at a certain frequency which I would argue obviously attenuates sound overall, at least to some degree...), but I think the real confusion here is stemming from the fact that our OE resonator isn't JUST a resonator. We just call it that. And because of what it really is - a y-merger built into a chamber that also has resonating properties as well as what I personally believe to be MUFFLING properties - I feel, at least at this point (with very limited data), that the OE "resonator" does quieten the exhaust more than an aftermarket resonator does. Regardless, we need more people to experiment and record objective data (i.e. SPL meter) to ever really know for sure. That's my opinion on the matter though and I am sticking to it until proven wrong.
Not worth me arguing over. People will do what they want.
Appreciate 1
dwashy64.50