06-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #75
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon08_328 View Post
a) Had hard start problems followed by CEL, DSC, and BRAKE lights. Also had a high pitched whistle noise. Diagnosed to be crank position sensor was cause of hard start. PCV valve malfunction cause of whistle. Replaced crank position sensor, valve cover and valve cover gasket.

b) $0

c) SULEV warranty covered completely

d) No hard time, as a matter of fact they brought up the SULEV warranty!!!

e) Not one bit!

BMW of El Cajon was the dealership
This describes EXACTLY the issues that my daughter's E92 328i w/N51 is having (DSC/brake/CEL lights and high pitched whistle).

According to the Carly OBD reader, her car has the following codes:
2A94 (Crankshaft sensor signal)
29E0 (mixture control)
29E1 (mixture control 2)
581E (engine control unit error: engine speed)
5E1A (ECU/DSC speed signal invalid/coil outlet valve [dump] shorted rear left)

I dropped it off at my local BMW dealer this past Friday morning, and the initial call from the Service Advisor said it appears the CCV/PCV is bad, and replacement is going to be covered under the SULEV warranty. More to follow today after they finish completing the diagnosis.

By the way: my daughter's car was originally sold & registered in CA; we bought and drove it home to TX. Despite the fact the car is no longer in CA, it is covered under the SULEV warranty.

According to the SULEV warranty, it covers the "original and subsequent owners". Since the warranty has no specific reference to the location of subsequent owners and registration, the car is covered in the remaining '49 States'.

Hopefully my experience helps others who question the warranty coverage outside CA.
Appreciate 2
3002 tii2285.50
Fritzer944.50