05-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
Spenser
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
Humm, this is a tricky one.
Did you put bad gas in?
It does seem to point towards a fuel issue but hard to be certain.

Hope someone else chimes in to help troubleshoot.
Just over a week ago I drove 850 miles from Salt Lake City to Seattle (I'm in WA for the summer - and only have a fraction of my tools). It was mostly fine on the freeway, but did throw codes 29E0 & 29E1 (fuel mixture control) a couple times randomly while cruising on the freeway.

So Saturday drove for 30ish min on the freeway at 4,700 RPM to see if the injectors were clogged and to help burn/clean them off. Sunday cold start was normal, no issues at all - I only drove it a small distance so no time to warm up completely. Today's cold start was bad again, and a lot of white smoke starting coming out the exhaust. I turned the car off and on a couple times and eventually it was "normal" enough to start driving and luckily had no other problems on my short 8 min drive. I'm guessing I'll probably get the same hard cold start when I go back to it this evening.

Also did some digging yesterday, the PCV valve and flapper seemed ok - I shook them and could hear them working, and blowing in the valve air came through only one way. I took the chargepipe off to check for excess oil - there was a pretty small amount, maybe just enough to cover the palm of your hand. I also noticed oil in my coolant reservoir and I was low on coolant - it looks like I have a small leak on the oil filter housing gasket, but would this cause the hard starting and white smoke?
Appreciate 0