View Single Post
      05-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
Now I'm experiencing two different scenarios of cold starts. Still getting the same as before where the hpfp pressure is super low and the engine hesitates, but this morning's cold start the JB4 read hpfp pressure of 12 (1,800 psi). There was a TON of white smoke coming out the exhaust then. I turned the car off and restarted it a couple times, but it didn't stop until I started driving and reved the engine a little bit - then the pressure showed the normal 5 (750 psi) and I was able to commute to work (though I drove it like a Camry as to not demand extra fuel).

Is this behavior of a failing hpfp? Where sometimes on cold starts it'll have basically no pressure, and other times will be way to much pressure? I also noticed yesterday while doing some pulls that the pressure was too low under WOT (7-10 on JB4... so 1,050-1,500 psi). The car was warm when I did the pulls. Also checked the spark plugs again and they looked fine (I think). All of them again looked pretty much like this:
Rail pressure will be very high during "cold start." as the engine is revving much higher than idle... As far as WOT rail pressure, that sounds way too low but I'd need to see the log. You look to be on either map 1 or stock power levels in the log you posted so you should be having 0 rail pressure issues even if you had 100% E85 in the tank lol. Again, if LPFP pressure is 65psi+ then you probably have a HPFP issue.

That plug looks slightly fuel fouled to me but I guess it could just be the picture. This is a plug I just pulled from my engine after ~500 miles and an autocross event:

Between that plug and the white smoke and misfiring I'd say you need to look into troubleshooting the injectors more.
Appreciate 0