View Single Post
      05-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #16
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

In all likelihood there are a number of issues affecting your car.

That said, what stands out to me is that your have a consistent 29F2 code and logs show indications of erratically controlled pressure on the high pressure rail. In addition, you report "hard starts", which I take to mean long cranking times and are a classic sign of a failing HPFP. Finally, all the other codes you report could be explained as downstream consequences of a failing HPFP or HPF sensor (part of the pump). However, keep in mind that an improperly adjusted JB4 can be the source of 29F2 codes - you can google to find threads about this.

If I were throwing parts at this problem, I'd remove the JB4 while troubleshooting and if 29F2 codes persisted, I'd swap out the pump.

As to the other stuff; white smoke on cold start is a classic sign of injector failure but your plugs look fine or at least are not wet. So an injector issue seems unlikely. Smoke on startup (usually blue tinged) that disappears or is episodic during normal driving (as you report) is a classic sign of bad valve stem seals. That could account for your increased oil usage but could not account for your initial rough idle (nor could leaky turbo seals). In the absence of any clear indication of oil leaking from VCG, OFHG or oil pan gasket, I'd look first to the PCV system to address oil usage. It is poorly designed - the most common failing items include the PCV valve, the vent hose with flapper and the oil cap. Again, this would have nothing to do with the hard start/rough idle.
Appreciate 0