View Single Post
      09-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
ShadyShifty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

Alright folks, the results are in. The idiot award goes to... me.

I'm happy to say I got the Combox working. The issue was that the 26-pin comb fits into the locking clasp only one way, which fits into the Combox only one way. In other words, it's not reversible and can't be put in upside down. Unfortunately (and strangely) if you rely on the pin numbers etched into the outer edge of comb itself (1, 13, 14, 26) it actually won't line up with the pin numbers which I noticed were etched into the Combox.

The suggestion above actually helped me figure this out. I was feeling too lazy to disconnect all of the pins in the 26-pin connector, so I just grabbed a 10-pin connector I had laying around and placed only the power and ground pins as suggested. In placing this 10-pin connector into the Combox, I noticed the numbers etched into the sides of the Combox which were notably backwards from the way I was placing the original 26-pin connector. Truly, it's a miracle that this backwards placement for 3 days didn't fry something in the Combox. In any case, I'm thankful for a happy ending and enjoying my newly installed Combox.

So what have I learned? Check the pins on both sides of the connector and the device side and don't always rely on the manufacturer to make things perfectly straight forward.
Appreciate 0