AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by casdm9901 View Post
Sorry to offend your sensitive nature. I will stick to reading threads from 2017..
I've owned this car since 2008. I'm pretty sure the posts on "is AWD good compared to RWD?", which are in the hundreds at least, from 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 and 2023 have failed to produce anything new since.

This thread included.

Waaaah it's heavier.
Waaah front suspension.
Waaah M3 components.
Waaaah snow tires are the same.

There are 100 responses required to just the page posted so far. But why bother regurgitating? It's all been covered 200 times. I'll give you the cliff's notes:

* You can put all M3 components on the rear, not front.
* The car's only a couple hundred pounds more. You'd think it was towing a cement truck by many of the comments here. It's also sprung weight, and very low on the center of gravity. It's just not a big deal.
* There are a number of front suspension options available to solve for the rake, still drive well, and heavily reviewed here.
* The x-delete is cool, but the car is effectively RWD for most conditions that aren't just-cruising anyways, so the RWD element that makes a BMW feel like a BMW is mostly present.
* You don't need to have snow for the xdrive to be a meaningful benefit. In wet conditions (or the dreaded wet leaves in autumn), it's a huge benefit.
* You can kick the ass out all you like with the push of a button (it's right in the middle of the dash). If you want to fishtail, punch it with DSC off, or even DTC on. My car with full traction control on has zero understeer, and one push of the DSC button, and I'll oversteer more than is necessary, never mind with it all off.
* Anyone telling you RWD with snows on is anything like AWD in real inclement weather, is nuts. I'd rather be on A/S tires in snow, than RWD with snows on. I run both, because dominating weather tickles me, and I live in the hills.
* Anyone telling you that an X3 or X5 is better than a 3 series in snow is wrong, and doesn't understand how center of gravity affects traction. The ground clearance comments are stupid, because snow is soft. I drive in 8" of snow all the time, and I'm lowered with a front lip. Its fine.
* The real xi sacrifice is the front suspension's piston travel, which means once lowered, there's less distance to dampen.
* The oil pan is wonky. It's not a big deal. It still works fine.
* There are more moving parts, so inevitably there will be a risk of higher maintenance (transfer case, front diff, etc).
* Front diff, while pretty durable even with upgraded power, isn't upgradable due to space/configuration. It's one of my biggest pet peeves, but it's not fatal, and not stopping people from getting great power to all 4 wheels.

In the end, it's all about taste. An automobile is a tool, and you need to decide what tool is best for the job. This platform is basically a swiss army knife, and can do anything from drag to road racing, daily driving, weekend warrior, etc. For me, I don't get infinite snow, but the AWD is a must for me in Boston. If I lived in the sunbelt, I'd probably be RWD. If I were a grand touring racer, I'd probably still lean AWD, but it'd probably be a toss up once each options mods were accounted for.

I'm out of breath. I'm going to take another nap.

Run some searches, you'll learn more, and learn it faster. The "do a search" comments arent because people are lazy, it because you're going to get more information way more quickly if you make a little effort and run some searches for your specific issue.

Welcome to the forum. This place is a great resource for a great platform.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 01-25-2023 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 4