02-13-2023, 09:11 PM   #28
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdm9901 View Post
Hello everyone; new to this forum. I just recently purchased my first AWD BMW and I’m curious to know everyone’s initial thoughts on yours when you first bought it and whether that changed over time. There are a few things I really like about it but most of the time it feels like I’m wrestling an alligator.

I’ve got an ‘06 E91 325 6MT with a couple sets of wheels. I’ve owned several 3 Series in the past (E36, E46, E90) but all were RWD. The suspension is stock and in good shape so I’m pretty sure it’s the crappy RFTs I have on it now (see below). Any thoughts?

When I first test drove it and bought it style 220s were on it with Michelin PSS’s. I had no real issues with it but did think the steering was much stiffer than expected. I didn’t drive it much after purchase when I took those tires/rims off to get them refinished and put on the 18’s with RFTs so it’s hard to tell for sure if it’s the tires or I just don’t like the AWD. It can be really squirrelly at times. There are times when I’m driving it and it’s downright scary - especially hitting a pothole going 60+ MPH. I guess I’m going to have to get the 220s back on after they are refinished and find out for sure.
Thought I'd give my two cents as I have a e90 x drive for 6 years now. It's been my daily.
The x drive is great. I am stage 2+ fbo. Without xdrive, there is no way I'd be able to to put full power down for the first couple of gears, it's a rocker off the line once the turbos spool. It does not feel heavy with the extra weight of x drive. I am lowered on ST coilovers for 6 years as well. The car is low and i drive it all winter in Canada.
For summer I run 235 35 r19 fronts and 275,30 r19 in the rears. Feels super stable at high speeds as well.

My negatives: yes the steering rack is slower than I would like but nothing you can do about it. A rwd model rack will not fit.
Oil pan gasket is a big job to replace, mine has a slow leak and i will just let it be until it gets worse.
The front suspension is also a bit harsher on bumps vs a rwd model due to the extra weight of x drive up front.

I have not tried x-delete yet but I might soon. Not to turn of x drive but to send more power to the rear vs the front, they have some nice preset modes. Any questions feel free to ask.
Attached Images