View Single Post
      08-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #23
Buggywhips
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI

I had a similar problem with my 325xi - manual.

It sounds like there are a few different ideas as to what the problem MIGHT be but nothing that I've read points to a definitive part that causes the problem. That said the problem can easily be resolved with a little elbow grease and know how.

What worked for me and many many other folks is to replace the brake pads, rotors, and wear sensors with aftermarket parts. This is a very easy thing to do and there are dozens of videos on youtube that will walk you through it step by step if you've never done it before. Other than jacking up the car, supporting it properly, and removing the wheel you only have a couple additional steps and a couple additional bolts to remove.

Spending $1000 at the dealer, as one poster previously stated, to fix a squeaky brake problem with the same factory parts that caused it originally doesn't sound like the best of ideas because you are going to end up with the same result.

I went with a set of aftermarket rotors from brakeperformance.com and a set of Akebono ceramic pads and sensors from Advance Auto Parts. A total of about $300 including taxes and shipping was spent. Installed everything in about an hour (including a beer brake) and I haven't heard a peep from my brakes in over 50K miles. I don't have the brake dust problem, my pads last longer than the factory ones, and I have better than factory brake performance.

Rather than compound the problem, get frustrated with the dealer, and spend way to much - just some research and do it yourself!
Appreciate 0