View Single Post
      09-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Simple Infinite Baffle Sub Install Idea

So I'm no expert when it comes to IB / free-air installs, I just know that they have the potential to sound fantastic. The concept is pretty simple: Use the trunk volume as the enclosure, and install the sub(s) in a baffle between the cabin and the trunk. The main advantages of IB are a) very linear frequency response, and b) efficiency.

The few BMW installs I have seen by members SCtud, mathematics and TMR all involved the installation of a separate baffle behind the back seat, with some degree of air space between the two. All of them had ski-passes. My idea is a bit simpler, and I was wondering if anyone with experience would care to comment on the concept.

Basically, I want to bypass having to install a separate baffle, and use the back seat as the main baffle. I would just have a mounting baffle, large enough to mount the sub to and to cover the ski-pass hole, and it would be screwed directly to the back of the seat. The waves from the front of the woofer would all be forced through the ski-pass hole, while the back waves would stay in the trunk. Now I know that the back seat and rear decks do not seal completely to the cabin, but I would think that it would be enough for this concept to work. So, before I go crazy building stuff, anyone with experience care to comment? Am I crazy or could this actually work?
Attached Images