03-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter View Post
Been a while,
Car received a DEFIV Fabrication 335i Lock down kit to battle wheel-hop and miscellaneous general bullshit while hooning.
A UUC EVO SSK 3 + DSSR was thrown on (UUC Did a horrible logistics job, get a vendor to price match them during a promotion and you'll actually get your parts.) Red poly trans mounts as well for good measure.
Rogue Engineering Delrin Carrier Bushings (Ben @ Rogue is always a pleasure to deal with, had the Rogue SSK not been discontinued I would have definitely sourced one from them!)
To take the daily abuse a ClutchMasters Dual Disk kit was fitted, street trim.
Another little treat I had put in is a one-off complete pipe replacement for my stock intake, this is from the turbo inlets forward done by also by Defiv fabrication.

All the work was done by Rick@Defiv, as always he was prompt with status updates, pictures via text, etc and his work was top-notch.

Initial impressions: The UUC EVO SSK3 increases shift effort significantly over stock. This is a normal property of physics, less leverage = more effort. That being said the DSSR and SSK work together to provide excellent mechanical feedback and a short shift. I appreciate the peace of mind the combo provides. The Rogue Engineering Delrin carrier bushings further tighten things up.

The ClutchMasters kit was a bit of a nightmare in sourcing and install:
There were two problems during the install, the first was that I was shipped an 8 bolt flywheel whereas I have a 6 bolt crank, normally not an issue but ClutchMasters spent a month making a new flywheel (this flywheel had to be modified further to actually fit at my expense.) If you're thinking about getting a flywheel from any company be sure to first check your VIN against your dealership to figure out which type of flywheel you have. CM told me there were 4 variants.
The second problem was that the clutch disks CM sent out were the wrong height, this didn't present an issue when first installed until the engine turned over, the throw-out-bearing sleeve seized with the friction disk and caused a bunch of damage. CM over-nighted the correct parts, however my parts and labor came out of pocket yet again.

I'm at 500 miles on the clutch now and have had a chance to give it a good long beating and have some initial impressions..

The engagement point is much higher than stock, it also engages over a significantly reduced area of pedal movement and also much -harder-. This was a bit difficult to drive at first, but now I've got the hang of it and can drive it pretty well.
There's quite a noise when trying to accelerate from <3k, I'm not sure if this is related to the red poly mounts on my trans or not.. If I get a chance to swap them I'll report back. Generally though when you're trying to drive in a spirited manner your car doesn't RPMs under 3k.

Chatter is pronounced. I raised my idle points by 250RPM via INPA but be-advised that the ECU doesn't follow this to a T, idle points between the stock 650ish to 1,000 rpm did -not- eliminate chatter. The chatter is pronounced however I don't find that it is noticeable over the sound of my radio, nor is it overly loud from the exterior of the car.

Power shifts are better now, with a great amount of bite in each gear at any RPM.

My car is really appreciating the DEFIV kit with the additional spite and anger the clutchmasters kit doles out, the rear end is rock solid. I really can't complain.

As for the final tidbit the intake piping is really awesome, Rick custom fabricated pipes for the front and rear turbos and located the filter in the front air dam behind the passenger side fog light where it gets the most cold air. All the piping was wrapped in gold heat reflective tape to keep the intake temps at their minimum. Sounds great and the car is more eager to build boost than ever. Once the weather improves I'll be working on making my tune more aggressive to accommodate the increased performance.

I haven't gone to the dyno yet, but I'm excited to see what's happened with my numbers.
Just for future reference, the spec clutches have been very popular and they offer a 6 bolt or 8 bolt flywheel.
6 bolt, traditionally, is for the 335is and 1m. However, there is a rare occurrence where some 335i get the 6 bolt.

Spec also offers a steel flywheel to reduce chatter VS the aluminum flywheel options.

Not to trying to sound like I'm pushing spec but it's good to know there are other options out there, especially for people reading.

I would avoid any aftermarket single mass flyhweels if you can. They are not needed unless you are pushing over 500WHP.

Stick with the OEM DMFW at any costs.
Appreciate 0