06-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Ah fair enough.....goodness knows what these fancy routers are supposed to be used for then? Just for the Wifi bit as you suggest? It was great for wifi connection across multiple gadgets (big range, solid connection) but it never delivered the speed as a router

Why cant All these ISPs using their own routers make them work universally? Surely they all require similar settings?
It looks like it's mostly connection settings that are the problem (addresses etc.). It looks like Sky restricts access to this information.

I've replaced my Virgin router with an Apple Airport and it works fine, and I've used the Virgin router on my Mum's Talk Talk line.

They're not always easy to configure - I've spent a lot of time dicking around trying to get things to work. I've you've got no idea about IP addresses and the like, it can be a right PITA trying to get things working.