01-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #65
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Oh jeez, I just saw this

First, a 1.8 GHz dual core processor isn't any faster than a P4 1.8 GHz processor unless there are multiple programs running at the same time or you are running one of the very few programs that implement dual threaded programming. My 3.2 GHz P4 (desktop) is faster than my 2.2GHz core 2 duo (MacBook Pro) for most tasks.

Second, cars are not obsolete after one year (argument can be made if it was the last year of a certain production). What does that have to do with technology being obsolete (I am just missing why you put those together)?
Better look that up again.. The Core 2 duo and just the core chip is entirely different than the P4 chip the P4 chip had many design flaws to begin with. The only reason your desktop is faster is its well a desktop and probably has a faster 7,200 RPM hard drive not a 5,400 RPM low power laptop drive and other low power consumption components.

A core solo chip running a 1.8ghz is faster than a P4 running at 3.2ghz, partly because the core chip can do more calculations per cycle than the P4 can and thus doesnt need to be clocked higher.

I ended up canning my Macbook Air pre order, I went to see the glossy screen in the apple store and wasnt a fan, I am going to wait until its a none glossy screen. And I wasnt a fan of the spacing on the keyboard.

Here is a comparison of the chips so for a core solo 1.5ghz you need a 2.8ghz P4 to be even in terms of performance.

Core Solo/Duo Pentuim-Ms:
Core Solo 1.50GHz - 2.8GHz P4
Core Solo 1.66GHz - 3.0GHz P4
Core Duo 1.66GHz - 3.2GHz Pentium 4HT
Core Duo 1.83Ghz - 3.6GHz P4HT
Core Duo 2.00GHz - 3.8GHz P4HT
Core Duo 2.16GHz - 4.0GHz P4HT
Appreciate 0