05-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #1629
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
That really isn't a good way to think about it though. Not only 370z is rated at the crank where as the Supra/other BMWs are underrated, that is just peak power and not power under the curve. Also the 4 cylinder Supra makes a lot more torque and weighs less than the 370z. This is why they the 4 cylinder Supra and 370z have similar 0-60 times and quarter mile times. Not that is matters but the 4 cylinder Supra has a lot better fuel economy as well.

So in real world applications the argument is actually just the cost of the nicer interior for $10,000.
Ehhh, the 4-banger in the Supra is likely underrated and the 3.7 in the Z is probably over rated, but we're talking 75 horsepower here, not like 15-25. I'm sure they have very similar acceleration numbers, but i'm guessing most of that comes down to transmission and the ZF 8-speed being god tier as far as autos go.

And quite frankly if you have two cars with identical acceleration numbers, i'd almost always rather have the one that shifts slower, as you know its pulling harder IN GEAR than the car that's making up time by shifting faster (that and i've never owned an automatic and don't intend to start any time soon.)

I'm not saying the Supra is a bad value. I'm saying for people who just want the best driving experience and don't have a lot of money to spend, taking a long hard look at a Z might be a wise move.
Appreciate 0