View Single Post
      05-19-2009, 05:03 AM   #56
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by STETT Performance View Post
Even though dyno numbers don't always show full gains, I think the fact our CAI dyno's 15-20rwhp more than the stock airbox speaks for itself. There's no rule that says to run 11's you have to have a CAI. You maybe running 11.90's with the stock box but by uncorking the intake side you could be running 11.60's. A bone stock Z06 can run 11.5's all day long but swap the stock airbox for something less restrictive and it will run 11.2's. There's no doubt the stock airbox can be used to make impressive numbers but a CAI will make even more impressive numbers.
STETT, the stock box is sitting on top of the hot engine and in my opinion there is no way it could do anything but produce the hottest charge temps. Your intake is showing 9 degrees F colder air then intakes on the side of the engine. In my opinion, the stock intake should suffer from massive heat transfer by conduction from the engine and convection (being at the top of the enclosed engine bay) and produce the hottest AITs of all. Colder AITs will always help in the long run. Even if you get one fast run on the stock box, the AITs will rise fast if you do not take precautions with things like an intercooler, CAI, or meth.

Second, be careful basing your decision on 1/4 results. Things like skill level, wheel weight, tires, etc. all affect things enormously. My testing was simple and repeatable by anyone. I was not testing what is faster, but what will allow you to produce the most power and most consistent power. If the flow is equal and the air is colder, then if all else equal you will be faster.
Appreciate 0