View Single Post
      04-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #39
segfault
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No longer own a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by irowharderthanyou
I also wonder why BMW set our computers to show 2 years default on the time to next service. If they recommend 1 year in the manual, they should set the date at 1 year on the computer.
USA got 1-year changes because people here freak out about changing their oil.

I assume that the service intervals are hard-coded into the CBS system, and it was not worth the trouble to recode it for the US. Once it is reset, it starts another 15,500 miles or 2 years cycle...

In order to make the computer comply with what the US manual says, it might be possible to set the car's clock one year back before resetting the CBS. (Note: this is probably only possible once you're out of Full Maintenance, as the dealer will probably reset the date if it's a year off before resetting the CBS.) So, if I were having my annual oil change done now, I would set the car's date to 04/21/2005, change the oil, and reset the meter, then change the date back to 04/21/2006, then the CBS would show the next oil service due in 04/2007. I have not tried this and do not intend to, and it may cause unforeseen and unintended consequences, so try it at your own risk.
Appreciate 0