View Single Post
      12-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
1. These cars are very good at resisting rust. Unless it was in an accident and not repaired well, I wouldn't worry about body rust at all. The rear subframe can rust so I'd check that but it's usually not an issue. Rear diff will be crusty but shouldn't be a serious issue.

2. M sport steering wheels don't hold up as well as the regular ones but that's easy to see. Otherwise the interiors hold up really well. Obviously they all get the sticky passenger handle at some point which is cheap to fix.

3. It could be different since it's a 328, but you'd never be able to get a warranty on a 125k 335i. When I looked into it, it was 3k+ for a warranty on my 27k mile 335i. I'd expect a bit more if you're able to get one at all for these. I probably wouldn't worry about it here. The non turbo engines are pretty reliable and it sounds like you're familiar with the issues they do have. Just set a little aside for a rainy day.
Thanks for your response! I'll keep an eye out for rust but glad to know that generally it's not as much of a concern.

Noted on the M sport wheels - I'm less concerned with cosmetics and more concerned with functionality, since that costs a lot more to replace. A footwell module, or a bunch of window regulators/door actuators/the steering lock could get really expensive even if I DIY.

The MaxCare is an option - I ran the numbers since my last post. It's only available for the 125k mileage milestone, and it's a 5 year plan. With a $300 deductible, the warranty cost is just under $4000, which is a bit higher than I'd anticipated.

Not sure that it's worthwhile at this point - if I have 5 claims, then my total cost of repairs (including the warranty and deductibles) is $5400. I bet I can do better than that with a combination of my own work and getting a bunch of gaskets and stuff replaced during the preliminary 90 day warranty.

But on the other hand, it'd be nice to be totally covered for 5 years.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251698.00