03-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #1815
tony176000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Has a single person in this thread proven that the ticking is dangerous for the life of the engine?
Man, I am being so lazy, but I could have sworn there is a post on this thread where the camshafts were hella scratched and torn up. I think there is always danger of long term damage from oiling issues. Oil is probably the #1 most important non-mechanical component of an engine. BUt, alas, until our 06 07 08 MY cars get to be 100,000+ miles, we won't know. I hope its just cosmetic, as I recetly purchased a $3k third party warranty (which surely won't fix this) and plan on keeping my baby for a long time.

I have been re-obsessing about this lately. My HVLs were replaced about 2 months ago, and the ticking is still VERY slightly there. Its MUCH slower, like maybe only one of them is ticking, and only on every other revolution or something, and VERY quiet, but still I know its there. If I drive the shit out of it, or rev around for 30 secs in DM (like on my way down my .25 mi home street, I'll leave it in 1st, at about 5-6k rpm for 20 seconds) and its gone. It will come back once I do a commute drive--slow, short distance. I just don't know. I am sure there are plenty of N52s out there whos onwers aren't as weird and obsessive (uh, I mean complex and dedicated) as us on e90post and they probably don't even know about this.

BUMP! Let us know how things are going if you've had a repair, etc, etc.
Appreciate 0