View Single Post
      08-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #26
Trijicon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider23 View Post
Make sure ya teach your kid the value of money too. Again, something people I know aren't doing or have not done. Most of my friends (18-21) are in credit card debt because their parents had a "I'm not going to teach my kid anything about money." Debt comes cheap. Getting out of it, doesn't.
Great advise, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor 335xi View Post
In all seriousness though, just spend time with the kids, teach them as much as you can, and love them for who they are.
Will do oh about the nanny, would be nice, but I don't need that temptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post

If you have a boy, you have one penis to worry about. (Where he puts it and how much trouble it will cause.)
If you have a girl, you have to worry about ALL of them!
So true! I'm stealing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
i've fathered millions of babies in my lifetime. none of them survived.
Nice! if tissues can get pregnant, you'd be in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post

that's my advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
Congratulations.

I offer three suggestions.

1. Be the kind of person that you want your children to be. For example, since this is a car forum, you can not drive like a mindless idiot for 16 years and then expect your teenage driver to be something that you are not. Of course this applies to all aspects of life.

2. Never act in anger. Walk away, calm down and think.

3. Children understand the concept of "choice" from a very, very early age. Calmly explain the choices that face them, make them realistic and then follow through. You see parents failing at this all of the time, from empty threats made to screaming kids in a store to extreme, but still empty, threats made during the teenage years.

And I will also offer this. I have never laid a hand on my children. They are now 19 and 22, with good friends, excellent academic records and most importantly they are caring and compassionate people. The American practice of beating children is barbaric.
1) Great advise, thanks
2) This I have to prepare for
3) I know what you mean, my niece and nephew are brats because of the no follow up.
Appreciate 0