View Single Post
      01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #35
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

So I thought i'd draw this out and see if I could make heads or tails out of it.

The strut mounting point for the endlink is fixed. It doesn't matter if the car is lowered or original (unless aftermarkets struts have this mount lowered to account for lowering springs). The pivot point of the sway bar is the bushing and is attached to the car. When you lower your car your moving this mounting point down (shown in the pic).

Since the lever arm of the sway bar is a fixed length, and the endlink is a fixed length (13.5"), the endlink will need to rotate slightly counterclockwise to account for the drop. If the endlink was perfectly vertical, and now has rotated to 5 degrees, assuming a 13.5" endlink and a 5 degrees rotation (cosine problem) you will lose 0.004" for every 1" of suspension travel. Not much of a difference. The 5 degree was a hypothetical number.

As long as the new orientation doesn't interfere with other suspenion parts i wouldn't think this is much of a problem.

On second thought the endlink would rotate clockwise, not counterclockwise as the drawing suggests.
Attached Images

Last edited by critical05; 01-28-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0