View Single Post
      04-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #31
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm sorry, but it was the Vette driver's fault. He wasn't paying attention (probably texting). A Z06 can stop from 70 MPH in about 145 feet (2006 model). If you can't avoid rear-ending a tractor trailer on a clear night on a highway in a sports car that can stop from 70 MPH in 145 feet then your are stupid. Even if you were hauling ass in the Vette and the tractor trailer decided to change lanes on you as you were approaching it, it takes way longer than 145 feet for a tractor trailer to change lanes and totally block your path. Based on the angle of the crash - straight on and centered to the back of the trailer - it is obvious from just the one picture that the Vette driver was not paying ANY attention to what was in front of him and ran into either a very slow moving tractor trailer or a stopped one. There is no other conclusion you can reach from the picture or any other picture (angle) of the accident.

In fact if you look closely at the picture, it is obvious the Vette was going at a very high rate of speed at the time of impact considering the amount of oil on the road and the depth of entry of the Vette underneath the trailer. The under-ride bumper of the trailer went right through the Vette's engine and broke the block; that's really hard to do my friend.

Please don't blame this on some stupid Governmental outdated under-ride guard design. Don't give Congress fodder to mandate avoidance of stupidity and poor driving habits by mandating some new under-ride guard design (that will be no better than the current design).

The only problem here is the driver's DNA is still in the gene pool.

Rant over.
The driver is definitely at fault but have you seen the crash test of these tractor trailers? They are extremely dangerous for low profile cars and even regular family cars. Especially if you were to clip one with only 50% or less of your car on the side of the trailer. Instant death.

There was only 1 tractor trailer manufacturer who had a REASONABLY safe compared to others.

Checkout the videos of a Chevy Impala getting destroyed when it clipped one of those trailers with a mild overlap. I'm all for "survival of the fittest" but those tractor trailers are beyond safe.

You are right though. People dont pay attention. Texting, radio, whatever and rear end things. So I guess the question is put a family member in the shoes here, say they do something "Stupid" like texting, rear end a tractor trailer, would you want them to be safer?
Appreciate 0