View Single Post
      01-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I've got to believe this will cost significantly more than $20k to accomplish - no less in Thailand. The engine would be one small piece of that puzzle. A quick search on ebay shows a few for sale - $9k, $13k, etc, just for a "complete" M3 E92 engine. Let's assume a flat $10k for the engine. What about the drivetrain - transmission, axles, drive shaft, differentials, etc. This would be a huge job. You're not just going to drop an M3 engine putting out over 400hp and couple it to a drivetrain designed for an engine with half that power, are you? The DCT in the M3 is also completely different than anything (auto or manual) of a 325i... so you're not going to get the feel or performance of an M3 without addressing the entire drivetrain.

The ECU, and likely countless other parts, are probably different as well. For instance, the M5 is about 80% unique parts compared to a standard 5-series. I'm prone to believe this is similar for an M3, too. While you may not need to address ALL of it (certainly not the cosmetic stuff), figuring out what to address and what NOT to address, mechanically, would probably take a mechanic (or team of them) with great skills.

Sorry, I've got to say the project just doesn't make sense. Save your $20k and put towards something of real value. Modify your 325i if it makes you happy to do something to better the car... but this seems like a leap too far, and I doubt you'd ever accomplish it for $20k.

On a side note, Thailand is a complete rip-off when it comes to cars. I was having this discussion with some others on the 5 board... can't believe there are guys spending over $200k on 535's over there... ridiculous. I'd pick up leave the country - that's a government out of control.
Appreciate 0