02-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #354
Marq_z
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq_z View Post
I bought my 2012 335i used 3 months ago and it has been making this knocking sound. Has anyone had a similar experience? Only makes the noise when car has been driven for awhile and the temperature is close to 250. The knocking is very obvious and can be heard even from 10-15 feet away. Cold starts are quick without any noises or issues.

I've heard a very very similar noise for quite some time (since ownership) and never had any issues. I regularly push my 2011 N55 engine, since I have been tuning it.

I believe that some other owners (with a louder version of this noise) said it had to do with the vacuum pump. I have put off doing any repairs as it's just not significant enough.
Thanks for the insight. It sounds like a helicopter but it hasnt triggered any problems so far. I dropped my car off at an indy shop this morning so they can look into it. From the researched I've done, I'm leaning towards the transmission. Either the flywheel or torque converter. I say that because Ive notice that when I put the car into park, neutral or drive, when the clutch disengages the noise stops for about a second and then comes back. I also noticed yesterday that my rpms suddenly went up and now the car doesn't want to shift into 8th gear when I'm in sport mode on the highway, which did not happen before. Fingers crossed that its nothing too serious.
Appreciate 0