View Single Post
      12-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #302
Scottward
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i/Sport/Step/Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Actually, I do understand technology quite well.
Well I think I understand the technology and have actually driven a rental Toyota Camry Hybrid and Prius for a few thousand miles.

Quote:
Perhaps you can enlighten me on how hybrid helps with highway driving?
Basically, when the battery is fully charged, it will use the stored energy to help supplement the ICE (internal combustion engine). While in this combined mode, gas mileage usually climbs around 30%. If you are cruising downhill, even while going 80 mph, the ICE will completely shut off and you can cruise just on the battery. Most Hybrids, including these two examples, come with a very efficient CVT transmission. Hence, you can be driving at say 85-90 mph and still get 40+ mpg. In the Prius I actually "accidently" got up to 95 mph and was still getting 39 mpg.

Quote:
How about battery disposal?
No data, sorry.

Quote:
How about brake feel / linearity on regenerative systems?
Brake feel is actually quite good. I have owned many different types of cars over my lifetime and definately have no complaints with the brakes. The regenerative aspect of them is completely transparent.

Quote:
Impact of the extra weight on active safety systems?
Not sure about how it affects safety systems, but with the battery being in the rear actually helps with the cars weight distribution.