View Single Post
      05-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #92
KrashFinatik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Sport Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerve
Update: After I took my car to get the rear main seal taken care of they called me back and told me my oil pan was still leaking... I had to take it home and redo the oil pan gasket.

The first time around, one of the bolts were broken off and the stem was flush with the engine. I tried and after 30 minutes was unable to get my reverse drill bit to bite. So I gave up and just put the pan on missing one bolt.

The second time I purchased a set of cobolt drill bits and a 12 inch drill extension. Trying to drill the bolt, I couldn't get the stability I wanted out of the extension bar and I was nervous about hurting the engine so I put one of the smaller bits into my dremel. I was able to get it out after drilling in a half inch and then attaching a torx bit into the drill extension and hammering in and then screwing out.

After I was able to get the oil pan in the second time I made 5 passes slowly torquing all of the bolts. I also should note that I reused the bolt set since they were only a week old. I did notice that the loctite that was pre-applied to the bolts came off as flakes after they were removed. Hopefully that won't bite me in the ass later. It toke me about 6 hours the second go round since I didn't have to stop every 10 minutes and consult this board.

I cranked the car was still leaking like crazy. It was the same spot where the oil pan meets the transmission so I called the indy shop again and arranged to get the rear main replaced. I had to wait another week and a half for them to source the tools and parts. I finally picked up my car today and finally no leak. My mechanic and also the local BMW joint both said that they've never seen a rear main seal go out like mine. They are thinking it was installation error from the factory where they didn't put adequate sealant so the seal came loose and was spinning with the flywheel and getting chewed up. The job costed $1447. It was hard to swallow but boy am I glad it's over.
guerve be careful of reusing the aluminum bolts. The reason why they are single use is because aluminum is a soft metal and it stretches when used.
Even though you you had just put the pan bolts in they should have been replaced.

I had a brand new bolt break when installing my alternator, so I don't trust reusing them.
I feel your lucky they didn't snap upon reinstalling them.