View Single Post
      08-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
Trolln
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 2010 BSM

Engine swap

Hi all

Firstly, I am fully aware of the onslaught of "trade it in" and "don't bother" comments I will receive. However I have some valid reasons for this, so bear with me

After trading in my FBO 135i for an e90 320i 2 years ago in order to appease the other half and fulfill my parental responsibilities, The main issue there being the 1 series only having 2 doors and the speeding fines
I find myself severely lacking power (obviously) and any form of enjoyment while driving. So, That being said, I'm toying with the idea of accumulating the parts and information required for the swap while getting the most out of this horrendous n46 before it leaks it's last litre of oil onto the ever growing patch on my driveway.

1. I plan to purchase a cheap, totaled 335i and utilising the engine, trans, ecu, cas, keys, susp, brakes etc..

2. I will be converting this to a ST, PI and performing all the regular preventive maintenance which will be much easier while the motor is already out of the car.

3. I am quite capable with the mechanical side of things and will be doing this myself (may get some assistance from friends where needed).

The main concern I have here is the electrical aspect. I imagine if swapping the entire ecu/cas etc that these should work together fine? both cars being an e90 this should be a straight drop in, mechanically speaking?

I understand there may be some coding required, however, this shouldn't be an issue. I have done some minor flashing with WinKFP, NSC, INPA etc and being a software engineer this shouldn't be to much of a task (I hope!)

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0