View Single Post
      12-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #105
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I'd add to that, as I know a few folks that have them and I think there's a view that they have something unique. I think a lot of the owners aren't care people but they love the tech aspect, like the big iPad in the dash. It's also a status symbol for many of them.
Living in California, Teslas are everywhere. Since the Model 3 is lower priced, I see them much more often now.

The majority of them are definitely not car enthusiasts. Having a conversation with them is very frustrating. As you say, they love the technology... being able to control your car with the phone, autopilot, how fast and smooth the user interface is etc... all features that most car people don't care much about. They're very proud of their car but it's more of a status symbol.

Then if you start talking about driving and performance, they start quoting how fast the car accelerates, it'll do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. They know nothing about handling or how the car does in speeds past 60mph (they don't do well). Nor that the figure is not really impressive when an Evo or STI was doing 0-60 in 4.5 seconds back in 2003.

I've been behind the wheel of a few Model 3s. They're not bad.. but definitely not a car I'd own as my only car.