09-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
I plan on buying this set today https://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-1...set-68017.html

Do you think the length of this socket will be an issue? I plan on using one of the rotating joint connectors if needed.
The long E10 won't fit - only a short E10 on a universal joint will fit.

However that's for the N52 - on the N52 it's possible to reach the bolt that way without touching the intake manifold. I think on the N54 it's not possible to reach it without at least loosening the intake. Some people only loosen the one side of the manifold and reuse the gaskets, but I'd recommend just removing the manifold and replacing the gasket. You don't need to take it all the way off, but once it's loose it's fairly easy to lift it up enough to the gaskets replaced. You can do it the other way if you're careful, but since you haven't done the job before it's always better to have extra room. It's not difficult to remove it, just go slow and budget a little more time for it. Be sure you don't get any debris inside the manifold, just clean the top of it off before removing it.

I can't say for sure if the long E10 will fit with the manifold loosened or if you still need the short one, maybe someone else will know.

Also yes, just to verify for you, there's no ESS on your N54. Only the N52 and N55 have valvetronic.
Appreciate 1
lowrydr3101689.00